[Nmsalsa] Polaris upgrades and news

Carrington, Bradley, DCA Bradley.Carrington at state.nm.us
Sun Jan 17 17:29:02 MST 2021

Hello SALSA,

Here's a summary of Polaris news.

The Supportal has a new design:
https://innovative.libguides.com/PolarisHome
It's a libguide!
Training material is organized on another libguide (duplicates a bit of what's available from the home page).  Current versions of all the Polaris manuals are handy here!
https://innovative.libguides.com/polaris

Here are some release remarks; we are currently on 6.3.  Release notes files are available from the Welcome page of that training libguide <https://innovative.libguides.com/polaris>

  *   6.4
     *   ?I didn't see much remarkable.
  *   6.5
     *   Polaris 6.5 is the first release that does not support Windows 7.
     *   includes MARC updates
     *   there is a video about this release:  https://vimeopro.com/innovativeiii/webinars/video/412735103
  *   6.6
     *   My Lists now under My Account in PowerPAC
     *   PAC support for Firefox and Edge (as well as Safari and Chrome)-- no longer supporting IE
     *   MARC updates
     *   video:  https://vimeopro.com/innovativeiii/webinars/video/461436861
  *   6.7
     *   video?  Tuesday morning! https://www.iii.com/event/new-features-in-polaris-6-7/
     *   comes with Core Bundle License:  we get to Leap (web version of Polaris)! And use Export Express and there is something tempting called "simplified invoicing"
     *   Leap Copy Cataloging might work for those who do original cataloging in OCLC, however seems to be based on Z39.50 and we'd have to take care to use our own OCLC connexion [sic!] (we have 3 separate OCLC subscriptions:  Museums, NHCC, NMSL)
     *   Export Express -- we could make a record set then export MARC -- Export Express can make, for example, a MARC file that could go with each state docs shipment!
     *   Those who need Polaris for circulation but don't have Windows 10 will be able to use Leap and they can use any machine-with-a-web-browser that they choose.  So, what do you think?
  *   7.0 (summer 2021)
     *   ?Cataloging (importing bibs, editing bibs, etc.) moves to Leap (perhaps soon after our upgrade, esp. if there's a long queue of customers in the upgrade schedule)  Until then catalogers can still use the Windows client if they have a Windows 10 machine.
  *   7.1 (Christmas 2021)
     *   ?Everything else moves to Leap except for some of System Administration

Here is a video on Leap "beyond circulation" (searching, item records, record sets) https://vimeopro.com/innovativeiii/webinars/video/418548350

Cataloging in Leap webinar January 27th:  https://www.iii.com/event/cataloging-in-polaris-leap/

And a fun reminder:  ProQuest purchased Innovative/Polaris Dec. 4, 2019!

And here is the celebration of 6.7:

Dear Polaris customer,

We are pleased to share we are automatically upgrading you to the Polaris Core Bundle license, which includes Leap, our award-winning staff web application. This is part of our effort and commitment to provide a modern, web-based experience which we believe should be accessible to all public libraries without additional fees.

You can now enjoy the full power of Polaris ILS public service workflows through your browser, which means your staff can connect with patrons and complete tasks anywhere - even outside library walls.

Polaris Leap offers:

  *   Responsive web access in any browser
  *   Mobile, anytime access for library staff
  *   Flexible workflows in an intuitive interface
  *   Automatic updates, with no need to update client software
  *   Modern architecture to adapt to future needs
  *   Your new bundle also includes access to other features such as Feature It and Simply Reports, as well as simplified invoicing.

Access to the additional features in the Polaris Core Bundle will be made available with your upgrade to the latest release of Polaris 6.7 which is targeted to be made "GA" (generally available) at the end of December 2020.

Please open a ticket in Supportal when you are ready to schedule your upgrade to Polaris 6.7 and turn on the newly available functionality.

Thank you for being a Polaris customer. We look forward to a continued partnership.

Best regards,
Raena Morrison | VP Sales, North America